Now with a newly cleaned and freshened studio, I jump back into some work! When I look at this unfinished sketch, it looks a bit sterile.
I think some texture would help. So I apply the spray starch to the stretched silk and let it dry. I cover the cat with a torn paper shape to shield it from the spray.
And since I’ve been working with painted paper lately too, I plan to save the paper for later.
Next I spray it with some dye from a misting bottle. And I like the results.
This spurs me on! I work on another, with lots of torn paper to form a stencil. And the paper itself is interesting.
I’ll save it for later. The dye penetrates the brown paper, and dyes both sides.
I’ve started experimenting on silk chiffon. Wow- what a great fabric. Soft, strong, and it takes the dye great. I started the underdrawing with my silk dyes, dried out so the lines would stay, and also used magic sizing on the chiffon.
Here the dyes are drying a bit- when the water evaporates almost all the way it works great for delicate lines and brushwork.
The drawing worked wonderfully on the magic-sizing prepped chiffon. After steam setting the drawing, I painted it as well, again with the silk dyes and magic sizing. The chiffon works great- the colors spring out vivid, and the details very sharp.
And the transparency- it fascinates me. I love the chiffon with just the drawing, and then again with the painting effect.
I’m linking up to Nina-Marie Sayre’s Off the Wall Friday– check it out!
I’ve gotten accustomed to using a variety of techniques in my recent work, and steaming the silk between each step. I streamlined my process for Tulips, hoping to capture some spontaneity.
I created a line drawing on silk treated with Magic Sizing, then steamed it. Next I used gutta lines to block out my drawing, and added blocks of color.
After this steaming, I’ve added details. And- I think it is done. I’ll get a final picture after I stretch it…
Here’s my salt resist recipe :
One cup Table Salt
Five Cups Boiling Water
I let the salt dissolve, took the pan off the heat, and submerged the painting. after a few minutes I removed the painting. Once it had drip dried a bit (and cooled), I hung it to finish drying.
The next day, when it was completely dry, I could see the salt crystals on the fabric. The photo shows how saturated the painting will be with the resist, with this salt recipe. So now I am ready to use my stencils and spray bottles with my dye.
Another work in progress is Water and Rocks, from a recent sketch. The drawing layer came out nicely- the dried dye I used to “draw” with seems quite vibrant on the white silk. (Sometimes I find that my greens do not have as much luminosity when used this way…) So- my challenge here is to move forward while retaining enough simplicity to reflect the sketch.
On another note… Thank you to a generous textile artist for providing some major inspiration. I have linked up to her Off the Wall Friday. And have really enjoyed her blog. Thanks, Nina-Marie, for your insightful writing on your creative endeavors, and on your lovely textile work!